Elizabeth Kolbert's "The Catastrophist," 188-201.

Guest Editor: Freeman Dyson
Kleist

Elizabeth Kolbert's "The Catastrophist," 188-201.

Postby Kleist » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Beware: if one wanders away from one's computer in the midst of a posting, one risks losing the whole message because one will be logged out automatically after some unknown length of time.

In lieu of trying to reconstruct a longer, more interesting discussion of James Hansen and his Model Zero--one of the world's first climate models that he created over thirty years ago and whose predictions mostly have been mirrored by the actual changes in Earth's climate since then--and of his political activism that grows out of his belief in scientific evidence--instead, I will refer readers to this recent AlterNet article: http://www.alternet.org/print/environment/global-warming-systemically-caused-hurricane-sandy

Hansen and his fellow climatologists had better get the politicians to wake up immediately, or the ongoing Sixth Great Extinction doubtlessly will include the human race. Jellyfish, however, probably need not worry, according to Natalie Angier: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/science/07jellyfish.html?_r=0!

tim
Site Admin

Re: Elizabeth Kolbert's "The Catastrophist," 188-201.

Postby tim » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 am

Hi David,

I'm sorry you lost you lost your message. The system is set to log you out after one hour of inactivity. I could extend the inactive period to two or more hours if that would be helpful.

Tim

Kleist

Postby Kleist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Tim—

Actually, that could be helpful for easily distracted sorts like myself. However, an easier solution is to compose a post on a word-processing program, then paste it in. That way one can be certain to have a record of the post, even if something like a log-out, storm-surge, or blizzard interferes with one's composition!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi David,

I turned off the time limit, so neither surge nor storm nor dark of night should hinder you now.

Return to “2010”