Submission guidelines

How to submit articles to the anthology
tim
Site Admin

Submission guidelines

Postby tim » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Once again this year I'm offering an incentive to enlist readers to scour the nation in search of good science and nature writing: Send me an article that I haven't found, and if the article makes it into the anthology, I'll mail you two free copies of next year's edition. That's double the value of last year's prize. I'll even sign them, which will augment their value incalculably. (A true statement, by the way, there being no calculable difference between copies signed or unsigned by me.) All submissions must follow a few ground rules: They must have been published in the United States during the 2016 calendar year and must be nonfiction articles about science or the environment. No poetry. Essays are also welcome. The articles can be from magazines, newspapers, or the Web. I'll forward a few dozen of the best articles I've read to the guest editor of the series, who will choose the final 25 or so.

Please include either the entire publication, a tear sheet, or a high-quality photocopy of the original that clearly shows the author's name, the publication date, and the name of the publication. Web only publications can send me a link to the article or a pdf. My e-mail address: tfATtimfolgerDOTnet (replacing the "AT and "DOT" with the usual characters). All submissions must reach me by the end of the first week of January 2017 at the very latest. The best way for publications to guarantee that all their articles are considered for inclusion in the anthology would be to place me on their subscription list.

Electronic copies of submissions should be sent to me at tfattimfolgerdotnet (replacing "at" and "dot" with the proper characters). Articles can be submitted in just about any format: links, pdfs, Microsoft Word, or OpenDocument Text (odt) files are all fine.

Hard copies can be mailed to:

Tim Folger
Best American Science and Nature Writing
3617 Zia Drive
Gallup, New Mexico 87301

MikeSmithofABQ

Re: Submission guidelines

Postby MikeSmithofABQ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Tim Folger, hi--

I am so happy I didn't yet miss this deadline. I want to email you a literary essay of mine that was recently published in WILDNESS, a new online journal of nature writing.

The essay is called "A Brightness in Everything," by me, Mike Smith of Albuquerque.

I would describe it as a visually formatted lyric essay that's sort of like what Annie Dillard might have written if instead of being her awesome self roaming Tinker Creek, she was a depressed, divorced office worker watching the suburbanized nature of Albuquerque, New Mexico's Northeast Heights go by from the window of his 8th story copy-writing office. Most of the essay is pure description, of months of looking out a window, but of course real life creeps in as well. Its first pages literally take the form of the window itself--divided into panes--and as the essay progresses, the window closes, closing with a single, two-page, 1,581-word sentence.

http://readwildness.com/transience/smith-brightness

I am currently a Pushcart-nominated essayist for an essay of mine that appeared in BOOTH, and another essay of mine, which appeared in TIN HOUSE, was featured as Notable in BEST AMERICAN ESSAYS 2015, for what any of that may be worth to you.

I will send a pdf and a link via email ASAP as well. I love nature writing, and I love exploring the medium in new directions. I think it can be almost anything.

--Mike Smith of Albuquerque

tim
Site Admin

Re: Submission guidelines

Postby tim » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks, Mike, for sending your story. I'm always grateful when writers to send me their articles. Otherwise I would be missing a lot of good stories.

Return to “Rules for Submissions”